Quebec City is a place where the seasons play an essential role in the rhythm of life of its inhabitants. Each season here—the summer heat, the cold winter, the colors of autumn, and the spring blossoms—allows you to discover the city in a new light. Québec BD is pleased to invite comic book authors to apply for a new series of four international residences that will allow them to create and experience these seasons in Québec City. These one-month residencies are aimed at authors from outside of Canada and residents of cities who are members of the UNESCO Literary Cities Network. A different candidate will be selected for each season, and the residencies will take place according to the following schedule:
– Winter – February 2022 (Event : Quebec Winter Carnival)
– Spring – April 2022 (Event : Festival Québec BD)
– Summer – July 2022 (Event : Festival d’été de Québec)
– Fall – October 2022 (Event : Québec en toutes lettres)
During their stay, the selected authors will be invited to participate in an event coinciding with the season they have chosen (Festival Québec BD – Festival d’été de Québec – Québec en toutes lettres – Quebec Winter Carnival). Each participating author will have to produce five pages (5) on their experience to be used in an exhibition whose presentation will begin in April 2023. Meetings will also be held with the public and representatives of the comic community in Quebec.
Québec BD will provide each participant with:
– a fully equipped apartment, located in a central district of Quebec City, for a month;
– a grant of $2,000 for the duration of the residency.
– all travel arrangements to Quebec City from the home of the selected author;
– a fee of $1,250 for the creation of the pages to be used for the exhibition;
– personalized support from Québec BD during the stay.
Only professional cartoonists from outside Canada and residing in cities who are members of the UNESCO Literary Cities Network (https://fr.unesco.org/creative-cities/creative-cities-map) are eligible. Candidates who are recognized as such in their country of residence are considered as professionals.
Candidates interested in submitting their application can do so by sending the following documents to email@example.com:
– A motivation letter (in French or in English) specifying the season for which they wish to do the residency
– A curriculum vitae or biography
– Examples of artistic work (2 MB maximum)
Applications must be received no later than October 25, 2021, at 11:59 PM EST.
A committee made up of representatives from the comic community of Quebec City will review applicants, and the selected authors will be informed no later than November 5, 2021.
THIS PROJECT IS SUPPORTED BY